How to Play Seven Card Stud
Seven Card Stud is a popular poker variant played in New Zealand. This version is one of a kind, using seven cards to make a winning five-card hand. It’s also a popular choice for poker tournaments like the World Series of Poker. With high stakes and high rewards, it’s no wonder so many NZ poker players enjoy trying their hand at Seven Card Stud.
Popular Poker Websites
Seven Card Stud Rules
As we’ve said, this version of poker is different from the outset. Players are dealt seven cards, but must make a hand of five for the last round. Here are a few basic steps to what you can expect in Seven Card Stud poker.
Step-by-step Seven Card Stud
- Place the ante – this is a must before the game begins.
- Two cards will then be dealt face down, and a third face up.
- The player with the lowest ranking third card, also called the ‘bring in,’ has to place a bet.
- A fourth card will be dealt face up for the table to see.
- Kiwis will then need to bet again before the fifth card is dealt to them.
- More betting, this time players can check or bet a lower wager amount.
- A sixth card is dealt face up, and another round of betting will occur.
- Finally, the River (seventh card) is deal face down.
- The player with the highest poker hand value will start the final betting round.
- If more than one player makes it through the final betting round, all cards will be expose in the showdown.
- The highest ranked poker hand will win the showdown and the pot.
- However, if there are two identical hands, the pot will be shared by both players.